Mutton milagu curry

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2 comments
Its been two months since I posted anything in this blog. With the arrival of my little one, days and nights goes like a whirlwind. And with the recovery time needed postpartum, it was indeed difficult to find solid time to sit and write down something. Now that  I am getting used to staying on the grind :), I am slowly multitasking between making time for me and my baby. 

Having a baby is definitely a lifetime of responsibility. Atleast until the little one becomes a toddler, he is totally dependent on you. You got to take care of his every little needs. With a good support system, you can travel this phase with ease. My husband gets very much involved in taking care of the little one. Ya, its nappy changing and sleepless nights for both of us. It is very much essential for the partners to get involved in child rearing activities. What I find praiseworthy in western countries is...both mom and dad taking equal responsibility in taking care of the child, which I find is very much missing in our country; though some liberal minded dads are certainly breaking the mold. 

With my mom and in laws here with me, they have taken control of the cooking center stage; which is a big relief for me :). Though I love cooking, it is definitely not the one which I would like to do on all days. And ya, with cooking gone at a backstage for me now, there are no new recipes which I have tried out recently. Though I get to learn a lot of new dishes and different ways of cooking from them, I wish to blog about any recipe only those that I've personally tried myself. There is too much backlog in my drafts, which I wanted to unleash for a long time. So until I get to try out something new, its time to put out the old tested ones. 

Here is the recipe for mutton milagu curry. Slurp! Mouthwatering! Enjoy making this hot spicy gravy. It is equally good with rice, roti, biryani or pulao.

Ingredients
1 medium sized onion (thinly sliced)
3 médium sized tomato (finely chopped)
1 ts fennel seed
1/2 ts ginger garlic paste
1/4 ts turmeric powder, 1/2 ts chilli powder, 1 ts coriander powder, 3/4 ts coarsely ground pepper
1/4 ts garam masala (optional)
Few curry leaves
Handful of coriander leaves

To marinate
500 gm mutton
2 ts lemon juice
1/4 ts ginger garlic paste
1/4 ts turmeric powder, 1/4 ts chilli powder, 1/4 ts pepper powder
Salt as needed

Preparation

- Clean, cut and wash the mutton pieces in running water. Mix them with the ingredients mentioned  above in the marination list. Marinate them for a minimum of half an hour.
- Heat oil in pan. Temper the hot oil with fennel seed.
- After they crackle add the thinly sliced onions. 
- After the onions turn translucent add the ginger garlic paste and curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
- Next add the finely chopped tomatoes. Cook them until they turn mushy.
- Add the masala powders - turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and pepper powder. 
- Add required salt.
- Cook until oil separates from the mixture. 
- Add the marinated mutton pieces and give a good mix.
- Add 2-3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook the mutton for 5-6 whistles.
- After the air in the cooker subsides, open the lid and allow it to boil more if you still prefer a more thicker gravy. Add garam masala at this stage if you prefer to add them.
- If you prefer to have this as a dry dish, sort of milagu varuval; then boil the mutton pieces with the gravy until it becomes completely dry. For this, you need to reduce the number of tomatoes or you may even omit them. Adding tomatoes gives this dish a thicker gravy.
- Taste the gravy and add more pepper powder if you still want it spicy and hot.
- Finally garnish with some coriander leaves.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

©Copyright 2011 Cooking simplified! | TNB